When Should You Hire a Family Attorney?
A family attorney or a family lawyer understands the ins and outs of family law in a specific state. Family law deals with issues that have a direct impact on a family. It is also in place to protect the interests of a family. This includes, but is not limited to: divorce, marriage, guardianship, alimony, adoptions, child custody, and any mediation or agreements involved.
If you or a loved one is about to deal with a family law situation or need additional support for something ongoing, hiring a family attorney is a smart choice when you have to deal with the legal system.
Family attorneys are experts in their field and know how to navigate difficult situations. Even if a divorce is civil, or custody arrangements are agreeable, hiring a family lawyer is still recommended. These knowledgeable professionals can help ensure the proper legal documents are submitted and provide support during court procedures.
Many people call on the services of a family attorney throughout their lifetime, especially in cases of child support and custody. In a situation where an agreement needs to be adjusted or amended, having the support of someone trustworthy who already knows the situation is extremely beneficial.
Benefits of a Family Attorney
In addition to having a skilled and certified professional you can trust help you navigate a complicated legal system, there are other key benefits to hiring a family attorney:
- They are familiar with conflict resolution strategies and can be a calming/reassuring force in a difficult situation.
- They are trained mediators who will keep the best interests of a family and child in mind at all times.
- They can explain difficult or confusing laws or stipulations for agreements in a fair, digestible way.
- They understand the correct paperwork and procedures needed in a particular state, so you don’t get lost in a quagmire of bureaucracy.
- They are professional and will provide honest advice and unprejudiced feedback in a variety of situations.
- They are an advocate who will publicly support a person throughout an entire proceeding or process (many family law situations can take months or years to resolve, so it’s good to know someone is with you for the long run).
- They are a confidential advisor in an often stressful and emotionally draining situation.
Regardless of whether you are involved in something difficult like a divorce or something life-changing like an adoption, a family attorney is oftentimes employed by a family for a long time. Family attorneys can be contacted to provide support for things like estate plans, wills, and even power of attorney. Having a consistent and personalized level of support for any family situation is comforting for many.
How to Choose a Family Attorney?
Choosing a family attorney is an extremely personal choice. They should be trustworthy and confident in their services but also empathetic and a good fit for the situation. They should be a good match not only in skillset and experience but also in personality, since this is a person who will be dealing with, oftentimes, tough and extremely sensitive situations.
Depending on the state and the amount of time needed, the cost for a family attorney’s services can vary greatly. Typically, lawyers charge by the hour, and work is done in person with the representative as well as in the office dealing with paperwork and planning.
It is recommended to ask the following questions when choosing the right family attorney for a situation:
- How long has the attorney been practicing law?
- Specifically, how long has the attorney been practicing family law?
- How long have they been practicing within the specified state?
- Do they frequently practice family law, or are they a generalist?
- Do they have references who can be contacted for a referral or reviews posted online?
- What are their service charges and any additional fees?
- Will they be the only attorney working on the case, or are they a part of a larger team?
In addition to having the correct level of credentials, someone who is personable and easy to talk to can also be a huge benefit. This person could be responsible for helping in a time of great need and personal anxiety.
Dedicated and Compassionate Team
If you are in the Dallas–Fort Worth Metroplex and need help with a family law matter, let our team at Setzer Law Firm help.
Our dedicated team of compassionate Texas attorneys often works in divorce, child custody, or child support processes, as well as property and debt division. We can also assist with a variety of property and financial issues couples or individuals might be dealing with.
Please give us a call or reach out online for more information about our family law services.